Old 07-13-10, 08:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
This is too bad, but I unfortunately agree with much of it. I am fairly new to cycling, and have just gotten comfortable riding the roads, but I am frequently embarrassed by the behavior exhibited by many of my fellow cyclists when on the roads and MUP's around Denver. I think we cyclists need to start better policing ourselves or we are going to experience a severe backlash.
Don't fall into that trap. Yes there are putzes who ride bicycles. Yes there are bicyclists who run stopsigns and stoplights. But that pales in comparison to the putzishness that you observe everyday by motorists. How many times have you seen a motorist who tries to beat a yellow from a block away? The motorist is probably speeding, ends up running the red (often long after it's turned red) and is endangering everyone around them. They speed. They drink and drive. And they manage to kill 45,000 people a year...every year...for decades...but no one notices them.

To put it in perspective, there is this

In 2008, there were 620 fatalities on Colorado roads. Eleven of those killed were cyclists, Grunig said. For the past 12 years, the number of cyclist deaths has averaged eight or nine per year...
There are 4 million people in Colorado. Say 2/3 of them drive so that's 2.7 million drivers. That means that 0.02% of them are likely to die in an automobile accident in any given year.

There are 1.2 million () adult cyclists in Colorado. That means that 0.0008% of them are likely to die in a bicycling accident in any given year. Who is the more dangerous to have out on the roads...bicycles or cars?

I fully agree that bicyclist should obey the rules of the road. I also think that motorists should obey the rules of the road. We shouldn't need laws to ban texting and cell phone use. We shouldn't need laws that require motorists to pass bicycles at a safe distance when it is safe to do so. But motorists have shown over and over again that they can't be trusted to police themselves any more than bicycle can.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!