View Single Post
Old 07-13-10, 10:54 AM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Neither of those statements represent fundamental approaches to actual training methods.

When you are riding at distances that require hours and hours of effort, you cannot differentiate training benefits as a result of lengthening a single ride or pair of rides. In other words, if those are your only two training perspectives, it makes no difference which you choose.

Look, you already possess a great level of fitness. You already have a rich base of long distance experience.

The best advice is to take what you have learned and understand what training costs are associated with becoming fit for two days of extended riding. It may be that your short comings having to do with pacing, nutrition, break/rest time management are bigger factors that your physical qualities with respect to recovering for multiple-day rides.

A look at your training log, and a deeper look inside yourself will determine whether it is your body or your mind that could limit big-time miles.

Although others often tout training "plans" or specific strategies - I've come to appreciate the idea of offering the "theory" of sound advice and letting readers solve their own problems.

1. You gotta use a log, and know where you are to know where you are going.

2. You gotta ride as hard as you can some of time - ride like you "stole it." Or ride "for all the marbles."

3. You gotta know when to rest, and know how to rest as hard as you can, not aimlessly ride around sick or tired.

4. You gotta do all these things in some sort of golden balance that doesn't destroy your life, your relationships or yourself.

And you have to do all these things while eating right, cleaning and checking your bike and equipment and giving praise to god or some deity of your choosing and not *****ing and moaning about why you can't ride back-to-back double centuries without "feeling it."
Dick, I'm not crazy about most of your posts but I have to say this is some of the best training advice I've seen anywhere.