View Single Post
Old 07-13-10, 07:12 PM
matttheknife

Bikes: 1993ish trek singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my first decent bike in my freshman year at the University of New Hampshire - a '92 Trek 930 Singletrack. It is still hanging up in my garage, in pretty decent shape. After college I didn't ride all that much but I decided to get back into it this spring. I had a back injury last year and my physical therapist, upon my discharge, said something like, "you know Matt, it wouldn't hurt if you got into shape." So in order to get back into the sport, I decided to get a bike that was designed in this century, and ended up getting a Jamis Durango 29. I have been doing two group rides a week since the end of May. I also try to do a solo ride on some railroad beds once a week too. Although I haven't met my fitness goals, I feel a lot stronger and my back has been feeling great. What I like about mountain biking is the physical challenges of making it up serious climbs, getting through gnarly terrain, and so on. What I have also found though is that I really enjoy the social aspect of the group rides. I know this may come as a shock, but after our rides, we often have a beer or two and chat for a while. Our rides are comprised of a variety of folks, who are all there to have fun. I have been an avid skier and the vibe is quite similar. I have also developed some good relationships with the LBS who organizes the rides. I have learned a lot about bikes in general, riding techniques, maintenance, etc... by just talking with these folks on our rides. Not that I like to look back in regret that much, but I now wonder why I took such a long hiatus from this enjoyable sport. All in all, I'm really glad that I got back into it. I also convinced my wife, who doesn't have a mountain biking background but is a runner, to by a used bike to try out the sport. She hasn't had that much time to ride but I hope she gets the same enjoyment out of it that I do.