Old 07-15-10, 01:54 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
And the trail from the heights. You can see the rail trail to the left of Pine Creek as it heads south through Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon.

I attended a climbing camp retreat last April with two of my brother in laws in the same area. We did most all of our riding on the road alongside the trail with excursions up and out of the 1,300' valley then back down again only to ride up the next road out of the valley.

Both brother in laws have lavish 5th wheel trailers making the camping experience tolerable. We stayed in the Petticoat Junction Campground at Cedar Run. From my experience, stop at the general store at Cedar Run for some Perry's ice cream. At Slate Run cross the bridge and visit the Slate Run Hotel's restaurant and have a steak sandwich with a $2 Yuengling, maybe totally re-hydrate for $6. Once you get to Waterville, stop at the hotel and have a $2 Staubs Special Dark beer, and possibly totally re-hydrate again for a few more $, before you make the final pitch to Jersey Shore.

As a side trip, after the Pine Creek Trail, go a few miles over to Hyner State Park and ride up the road to the lookout. I’m still smarting from that climb.