Old 07-18-10, 01:08 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by rallison
Thanks for the compliment on the pics. Since this road does not believe in switchbacks, virtually all of the photos do not do justice to the grade. And yeah, that slight dip to the creek is cruel...it leads right into the really steep stuff.

Not knowing Palm Springs all that well, I will add Sherman's to my to-try list for next time. Thanks!

And yeah, the descent is very fast but a bit dangerous if you don't slow down for certain sections. Which part of the road are you talking about with the rock jutting jutting out? I'm assuming it is before the 90 degree curve at the creek crossing. Yes?
the top of the road by the actual tram car station is kinda shaped like the eye of a threading needle. where the loop closes and the one way street signs start/stop is where i'm talking about.
the very beginning of the descent reminds me of a ski jump...it's just straight down so as to gather speed. the only problem is that a rather large piece of rock juts out on your right before that
junction with the main straightaway and forces you close to the road's edge on the left. can be lotsa small gravel on the road edge that's hard to pick up cause you're avoiding the rock at eye level. very easy to be doing 40 mph at that point in a verry short time. speed + gravel + turn = wipeout central. be careful everyone but have fun. personal best on that hill...62.5 mph and do not care to go that fast on a road of that quality ever again.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-18-10 at 01:33 AM.