Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
i like to pedal as far as i can get, and walk up the rest of whatever hill i'm climbing. i don't mind walking, i have nothing to prove.
Oh don't get me wrong... I walk alot. That's why they make comfortable walking shoes for mountain biking. I tease friends I just took my bike along with me to hike the North Rim of the Grand Canyon... that said... it really is a matter of practice, trial and error and more practice. There is a danger in standing while grunting up some steep stuff... if you hit a rock or rut, more likely you will be tossed over the bars than not. It is more efficient and safer to stay in the saddle. I've taken a few clinics and all of the trainers have told me to stay in the saddle on climbs. There are times, of course, to stand up, but mostly to adjust ones position, or during descents. I have found, if I get in a nice low gear, work on a steady, consistant cadence, I am much better able to ride up almost everything. I tried the grunting up as far as I can go then stop and walking and frankly that is harder.

It may depend on the terrain of course. Most of what I ride on is steep, rutty, rocky, sandy and loose. It's easy to loose momentum and it takes great strength to get over some obstacles. It is much better to "rest" up a climb, saving that strength for when it is needed, then to power and have no strength when needed.

But to each his own. I have a good friend who stands on her fully all the time and climbs great. I have another friend who never stands and climbs great. It's what works for them. However, I do suggest you try the staying in the saddle and see if that doesn't help your climbing. Again, gear down, don't attack, steady cadence. Good luck.

And Chelboed - that photo was taken in the Fall 2007 on top of my favorite trail, Cactus (appropriately named), in Limestone Canyon right after I got my new Santa Cruz (now old). That is my riding buddy waiting for me on the top of the climb.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.