Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RGS View Post
In my city, two bicyclists have been killed in traffic accidents over the weekend. This brings to mind a question I have had for years.

As a child, I was taught to walk on the left side of the street so I could face oncoming traffic and see what was happening. This seems to me to also be a safer way to ride a bike. The eye contact between the two drivers would make everyone safer and they would pass each other and return to normal driving much sooner. Anyone know why this is not considered as a solution to bicycle traffic problems?
Traffic law in all states requires pedestrians, in the absence of a sidewalk or separate path, to walk or run on the side of the road facing traffic.

When you get on a bicycle, the rules change. You are now the driver or operator of a wheeled vehicle, and so now to are subject to vehicular traffic law. The Uniform Traffic Code, as well as the law in every state gives bicyclists all the rights, and all of the duties and responsibilities of vehicle drivers. That means you ride with the flow of traffic. Ride on the right side of the road (unless you live and ride in either the United Kingdom, Australia, or Japan), never on the left, and stay off the sidewalks.

Riding on the left, against the flow of traffic, places you in a position where other drivers do not expect to encounter oncoming traffic. They're not looking for you to be there. You can't see the traffic signs or traffic signals. And you interfere with the flow of legally operating traffic. Simply said, it's the best, quickest way to get into a collision with either a motor vehicle or another cyclist.