Old 07-20-10, 01:19 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's just the bridge where I have this problem. Other than that I stay on the streets. NYC dis a great job recently (although still unfinished) repaintingthe the lanes on the Williamsburg Bridge to separate peds from bike traffic. I still see some cyclist ride in the pedestrians lanes but not as many as pedestrians walking in bike lanes. I think pedestrians feel entitled to walk in bicycle lanes, because cyclists, after all, are just pedestrians on bikes, right?

Another example of a great thing the city is doing for the cyclists and the pedestrians are f**ing up: buffered bike lanes, where a green bike lane is painted next to the curb and the parking lane is moved into the street so there is no conflict between bikes and cars pulling in and out of parking spaces. But pedestrians use those bike lanes as sidewalk extensions. There is a perfect, wide sidewalk right there and those mucking forons are walking in the bikeway. One guy got offended when I blew my horn at him: he was walking in the bike lane and talking on the cell phone completely oblivious to my bell, so I had to engage my airhorn. I am just starting to choose streets without bike lanes at all, I feel much safer in traffic than with zombies wandering in the bike lanes. I feel bad though because NYC is really doing a lot of good things for cycling, but all these efforts are wasted by people's stupidity and lack of any enforcement.