Old 07-20-10, 02:55 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cg1985
Some people here are against 'conversions' of functioning bikes, and you can avoid their wrath buy buying a frame designed for Fixie/SS use (Pake frames, Soma, Kilo, etc etc).

For conversions though it depends. In my area, C-list is waaay overpriced most times. Though I recently found a frame on their for 40 bucks (see my peugeot thread). My first conversion I found at a garage sale.

i've seen people find great bikes at Thrift stores, but I never seem to find any there.

Also, sometimes the guys at my LBS have their own frames in garages that they end up not using.
yes usually i am of the opinion people overprice old road bikes because of the popularity of conversions....
but the other day i scored 2 frames for 50 bucks total...both in sound condition....some Philips frame from the 60s and a 80's centurion accordo. the centurion's paint was also in super good condition.

basically if you are in the market for a road bike for conversion just keep checking craigslist every week or so. once in a while you will find a good deal because the seller just wants to make space and get rid of something and a low price means getting it out the door quicker.