Old 07-21-10, 09:11 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
There are three things to keep in mind.

First, no matter how carefully you research and shop, it's very likely that with experience you'll realize you need something different or better than your initial purchase. This happens to nearly everyone. You can't know what will work for you, on your commute, in your conditions until after you try. We can only suggest what works for us, on our commutes and in our conditions, occasionally speculating from our experience to your descriptions.

Second, every "wrong" purchase is a learning experience and tuition in the School of Hard Knocks. Somewhere along the line you will buy the wrong bike, accessory, or article of clothing. Happens to everyone. I'm working on my PhD.

Third, personal preferences also play a big part. I love drop-bar bikes and won't even consider anything else. That's my personal preference, and I only discovered that after 4,000 miles commuting on a straight-bar bike. Some people will only commute on a fat-tire mountain bike and would never consider anything else.

Keep these three things in mind as you filter through the seemingly conflicting advice you'll get here. This also explains why many folks will recommend buying a second-hand bike for your first bike. It gives you chance to figure out what works for you before dropping large coin on something new. I bought new the first time out, learned, then bought used for my first drop-bar road bike. After that, my favorite bike I bought new.

That said, the bike in your link above is a perfectly fine choice for a starter bike. While everything on the bike could be improved, there's nothing at all that's bad on it. It's very similar to my first bike, and although I now ride bikes that are completely different than that, I got 4,000 good miles and learned an awful lot from my first bike.

Last edited by tsl; 07-21-10 at 09:20 AM.