View Single Post
Old 07-22-10, 07:32 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
People underestimate the power of diet and controlled portions...
That's so true. The first 60 pounds I lost were from not much more than paying a little more attention to the nutritional quality of the foods I ate (in my doctor's words, "You don't have to eat ice cream every night"), and commonsense portion control, plus some semi-regular brisk walking. But even that will only get you so far, both physiologically and psychologically. Weight loss, like so many other things in life, has its share of "low hanging fruit" - the pounds that come off first are the easiest.

I got to the point where my weight was creeping back up. I'm not saying it was entirely physiological - I was definitely eating worse, and eating more. But I was doing it in response to the more difficult and slower progress I was starting to see. It became increasingly clear that I needed more activity, and more importantly, a structured program I could follow. I found the former in getting back into riding again, and the latter in one of the well-known national weight loss programs. So my wife and I started doing that in early April and I'm down over 30 pounds since then.

Last edited by CraigB; 07-29-10 at 07:03 AM.