Old 07-22-10, 11:37 AM
CrownEE

Bikes: Puch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ls0725
i would prefer to buy a new one. remember that when you purchase a used bike, say 5 years old, you inherit all the problems associated with the bike. save the money for upgrades? more of repairs and upkeep.

i would prefer a Brand New lower level (say Shimano 105) to a 5+ year old Shimano Ultegra drive components. These are mechanical parts that wear.

The biggest advantage of brand new from the LBS is warranty, free adjustment service (some limited, some lifetime), technical assistance, properly fitted bike, etc.
That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks. I was noticing that I could get a 5 year old Ultegra equiped bike for the price of a new 105 equiped bike but I did not have a feel for how much they would wear in that time or the relative quality. I think I'll stick to a new bike.

I found a local bike shop that has been extremely helpful in answering my questions and they handle Cannondale and Felt, which is why am leaning to those. But there is another LBS that was almost as good that sells Cervelo (outside my budget), Bianchi, Jamis and Scott. I don't know of a Specialized dealer in my area and the Trek and Giant dealers seemed less than helpful.

"because of the cobbles in the Paris-Roubaix" I wondered where Roubaix came from ... ooops my newbee is showing.