Old 07-22-10, 01:39 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
There's far too much risk of an internal spacer tube causing troubles later on. I'd give that option a pass. And yes you sure do need to worry about alloy and steel corroding together. The two metals set up a galvanic action that corrodes the aluminum and it'll lock that puppy in there like a bank vault door if it happens. This is the primary reason all alloy seat post tubes MUST be greased on steel frames and it's still a really good idea on alloy frames with alloy posts.

As I mentioned before it is VERY hard with some designs of lever clamps to achieve the best clamping force. The Shimano style internal clamps are better at this but they still are not great. The easy solution to your trouble is to just swap the lever clamp out for a bolt style. The torque needed to easily hold your seat post can be achieved with only two fingers on an allen key in the clamping bolt.

If it bothers you to have to carry an allen key set or combo bike tool it shouldn't. Every bike should be set up with a little seat bag or other way to hold a spare tube, tire levers, a universal bike tool that has the common allen key sizes and a hand rag to clean up after. Also every frame should have a tire pump on it. That's an absolute must on all these items if you venture more than about 4 blocks from home. Otherwise you're looking at a long walk somewhere along the way.
Ok. I have tried the carbon fiber assembly gel instead of grease and have ordered a bolt style seat clamp. Hopefully between the two the problem will be solved. If not I may have no choice but to resort to the internal spacer tube. The frame and seat post are both aluminum. The space will be made from aircraft aluminum as well, if needed, so I don't see what would cause the corrosion? Also the spacer would be greased and could be removed regularly for cleaning and regreasing... Hopefully it will not be nescessary!

Thanks for the help!

I already carry a multi-tool with allen keys, patch kit, spare tube, tire levers and a pump--so I'm good to go for any adjustments needed to the seat on the trail. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by myrridin; 07-22-10 at 02:06 PM.