CPFITNESS
Banned

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Tourney TX-31 and TX-51RD

These are all over the place for dirt cheap. Anyone have any experience with them? what are the diffeences between the 2 model numbers. I presently have a 14-34 megarange 7speed freewheel on my vintage road bike and installed a triple up front. My old suntour actually handles the 34 tooth alright but there are some minor issues with granny up front and taking up the chain. Originally I was going to keep the bike somewhat vintage but now, I've modernized the damn thing so much I might as well throw a proper RD on their and perhaps get some indexed downtube shifters. This seems like a dirt cheap way to do it.

I'm also probably going to get rid of the 34 tooth megarange since I have the granny gear up front now but I still think I need the longer cage to deal with the take up issue anyways correct?

EDIT, There is also a TX-71 i noticed the 51 and 71 have a little wheel on them that the cable runs through. I thought i saw a thread on here about that but I forget what the purpose of it was. Generally a higher model number indicates a better product and they are all so cheap I'm leaning towards the 71 since it seems like it should be a better product, but I'm wondering specifically if anything makes them better or is this just old product that never caught on that was wholesaled out and now available for cheap.

Last edited by CPFITNESS; 07-23-10 at 08:23 AM.