Old 07-23-10, 07:44 AM
LHT in Madison

Bikes: 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2004 Surly LHT, 1961 Ideor, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you say multifuel, I assume you mean both coleman fuel and kerosene.

The Nova mentioned above is highly rated but I have had a few quick release valves fail and leak (see photo). If you carry a Nova, also carry a lid for the fuel bottle because if the quick release valve fails you can't use the pump as a bottle lid. They have changed the design, they no longer use the quick release valve that has caused me grief so newer ones probably won't have the problems that I have had.

For liquid fuel stoves, I like the Primus Omnifuel. It will also operate on the pressurized fuel canisters like those made by MSR so it will operate on the widest variety of fuels. They have redesigned the pump on this since I bought mine, I assume the new ones are as good as the old ones are.

Omnifuel requires different jets for each fuel type but the Nova does not require changing jets. If you change fuels frequently, that is another factor to consider. Nova is also a little more robust that the Omnifuel when collapsed and packed.

If you are doing a short tour (days) where it won't be cold, the pressurized canister stoves are probably best but if you are going for weeks or will be in cold weather, the liquid fuel stoves are probably better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1551..jpg (98.2 KB, 22 views)