Old 07-25-10, 07:08 PM
folderster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the continued feedback!

Yet again, I appreciate the suggestions for a trailer, but no trailer. I understand a trailer is preferred and ideal. I understand some trailers can fold. I understand why the guys at the shop would push me toward a trailer. But I can't use a trailer! That's why I'm here for your advice, even if the advice turns out to be that it can't be done. To reiterate, no trailer and no xtracycle because A) bike will need to be able to go on ferry/BART (no trailers, period) and B) bike needs to be carried up several flights of stairs, and then down a couple narrow flights into the basement of my apartment building. Leaving anything on the sidewalk in my neighborhood for a "second trip" is not going to work--not for five seconds. Even if my load is quite heavy, I need to be able to jump off and carry it up two flights before my load is in a secure area.

@Standalone, nice to hear from another bass player. I've wanted to be bike-bass portable for years, and these newer class D amps finally make it possible (I hope). I have a Genz Benz Shuttle, works great and is really loud for its size. The head fits in my gig bag, and slides into a rack on top of the cab (which is the 20" cube). Combined with a Dano on my back, it's a light load compared to my old Mesa Boogie 2x15 + P bass set up of a couple hundred pounds total...

And I appreciate the suggestions for a front rack on my folder and am still considering it... those CETMA porteurs look sweeeet . The folder it would most likely go on is a Dahon Speed P8. But I really do have reservations about loading up the tiny bike that much, as much as I love my folders.

Porteur style front racks are really intriguing me as a possible solution here, especially since I'll already have a load on my back. They seem to be widely disliked on the forums but they do have some proponents (and certainly the CETMA guy makes a strong case for them). I think my first step is going to be to borrow a bike with a loaded front rack and see how it would handle for me.

As with many things in life, I'm starting to realize that the common wisdom maybe just be repeated (and not necessarily first hand) information, front racks included. We'll see...