Old 07-27-10, 07:47 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Ha!

Okay, here's one for you. This happened last week, I think. Mebbe the week before.

I'm going east over the Queensborough Bridge on my little folding bike, 16" wheels make me look goofy, but I still pass a half dozen cyclists on my way up. On the way down the other side, I'm cruising along at around 25 mph, when one of the guys I just passed pulls up next to me. You'd think he will now realize that he has been drafting me, and in order to get past me he will have to put on some more speed. But he doesn't do this. He just hangs out next to me. Inevitably we approach a third cyclist, going a bit slower. And now the third cyclist has an accident; his basket, clipped to his luggage rack, falls off; and he hits his brakes. And the idiot next to me is still right next to me, doesn't even move over. What the h*** are you doing! I yelled at him. He turns his head and looks totally perplexed, like he has just woken up from a deep sleep, and is trying to remember his name.