Old 07-27-10, 04:28 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
In fact, the shop was Harris.

The problem isn't that they turned me down. I took them the rim 20 days ago thinking they might say no. I showed it to them and discussed the issues, acknowledged that it was an old rim. Eleven days ago they even told me on the phone "on Monday". I have few opportunities to get by the store, but when I finally got there eight days later I found that the wheel builder had decided not to go ahead. I would have expected the courtesy of a phone call. I went to them in the first place to save time. And to let them worry about spoke length.

The thing is, they had the rim for weeks. They could measure it for flatness and roundness just like I did. They could examine it for cracks, or put a caliper across the outer surface around the rim looking for flares. I can find no obvious flaws, but since I have nowhere near the wheel-truing experience either you or they do I thought I would ask.

In fact there was another problem with this transaction. They had said the Quando was the only 126mm freewheel hub available. The tight feel of the sealed bearings has bothered me ever since. Today I asked about the Suzue listed on their website, and they showed me one. Apparently it exists after all. It was noticeably lighter, better finished, with smoother bearings, and somewhat more expensive. So why wasn't it an option three weeks ago? If they had actually built the wheel we discussed then I would have ended up with a lower quality hub. So it's a blessing in disguise.

As for it being prone to bending, I'll just say I have the identical rim on the front. I weigh only 170lbs. And I sure don't cycle competitively. I know it isn't perfect but I've ridden them before with no trouble.

I'm just trying to get a lighter rim, to get a real 126mm hub instead of 120mm hub washered out, and to upgrade from a 5-speed to a 6. (I'm entering the 1980's!) This didn't feel like a serious effort to help maintain a vintage bike. So now nothing has changed. I am still staring at a slightly sub-optimal rear hub and a perfectly usable lightweight rim to hang on the wall, and wondering what to do next.
Let me start off by saying that I have never been into the Harris shop, nor have I ever bought anything from them. Lastly let me be a heretic and say that I found that about 50% of all that was said by Sheldon Brown was absolute nonsense. I therefore have no horse in this race, but I feel that the tone of your post is completely uncalled for.

Did you speak to the actual person who was going to do the building of the wheel? In most better shops there is one person who specializes in building wheels and nobody is allowed to speak for them. From many years of experience, I know that it is the common policy of most experienced shops to make "vague" and "non-committal" promises about the potential for using old and used components. Are you sure that they said that they "would" rebuild the wheel with your rim, or did they say that they "would try" to rebuild the wheel. Measuring the roundness of a wheel is simply not possible in any timely manner. To do it properly takes more time than to actually build the wheel. When I previously said that the rim model did not have a good reputation, I was simply trying to diplomatically say that they were absolute junk and not worth spending any time or money on. Doubly so if it had previously been built up and might have encountered some unknown stress. Rims are comparatively cheap when you consider the overall cost of building a wheel (spokes, rims and wheel build cost), so don't waste your money rebuilding this rim that will not last as long as a higher quality rim.

As far as the hub goes, what you feel by moving the axle in your fingers has virtually nothing to do with what is felt once the wheel is installed in a bike. It would not surprise me in the least that both hubs will be equally good in use. Had I been in Harris' place, with a customer in front of me trying to squeeze out some extra use out of a rim that has obviously already past its best before date, I would take for granted that you are equally as worried about getting the most out of your money from the hubs.

Lastly, in which way did Harris not make a serious effort in maintaining a vintage bike? What vintage bike are you speaking of? From your description, you have nothing more than an old bike.

My read on this whole story is that one of the clerks who does not do the wheelbuilding likely took in the wheel in good faith, then gave it to the wheelbuilder who either made a quick attempt at assembling the wheel only to see the sub-optimal quality of the rim, or through experience was able to recognize the poor quality of the rim and the likelihood that a customer would quickly become dissatisfied with the shop for a wheel that would not hold out long term. He then put the work order aside to allow the clerk who took the job in to be able to give you a call about teh job. then because of conflicting schedules (rarely do all shop employees work the same complete schedules) or perhaps a busy time in the shop the call was put off and you ended up visiting teh shop before they got a chance to call you.

As Noglider has stated, why not build yourself.