Old 07-27-10, 04:31 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjajr
I will be retiring next year. As a special gift to myself, I am going to buy the best road touring bike I can find. I have been good about saving for this bicycle over the years, so I have the money to buy whatever I want.
Why not take a look at some of the exotic steel bikes, like those made from Reynolds 953, or titanium, or carbon fiber touring bikes (Koga-Miyata offers touring bikes in carbon fiber)?

I plan to travel three states, initially - Florida, New Mexico & Arizona - on good roads only. (I now live in Fliorida and off-road biking in sand has cured me of ever wanting to go off-road ever again. And, at my age, a fall is more serious now than when I was younger, as I have recently found out. I just cannot pick up the bike and hop back on like I used to.)
There are some great recumbent trikes on the market now. They make falls much less likely.

Not all off-road riding is like this. Many routes have harder surfaces; riding on them would be very different from the experiences you've had with sand.

1. I do not want to build a bike, so I need at least a near-ready-to-ride bike.
Maybe find someone you can work with well, who has a lot of experience building up bikes?

A good wheel build is one of the best things you can do for a touring bike.

I have two carry kits: one is 41 pounds for local trips, and the other is 75 pounds for longer trips. This weight does not include tent, poles and sleeping bag.

I have not kept up with the new technology over the years like as I should have, so I am hoping that some of you out there can help me save some time and effort in finding the right bike.

Any help wil be greatly appreciated.
Ultralight gear has come a long way in recent years. You could save a lot of weight by going with lightweight versions of everything you will be carrying.

You don't have to scrimp on necessities -- you can have everything you need to keep warm and dry, sleep and eat well, etc., and still carry lighter weight versions of everything you will be carrying.

You will appreciate having less weight. It makes a huge difference in hilly or mountainous terrain.

Last edited by Niles H.; 07-27-10 at 04:37 PM.