Old 07-27-10, 10:20 PM
spaceballs

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, All City Macho Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I would update this.

After more careful measurement, my cycling inseam is about 34.5-35 inches and not 33 as I had stated before. This bike lists the standover as 34", and I measure that as well. I can straddle the bike barefoot and pick the whole thing up off the ground an inch or so without causing too much discomfort. So I think it is a good fit, or at least the right size bike for me.

And here is the weirdest part: when I am up on the bike and riding it, it almost feels too small! When I get it back [in the shop for some repairs], I am planning on flipping the stem or removing a couple of spacers or something to sort of drop the bars an inch or so. While riding as it currently sits, I am far more comfortable in the drops than on the hoods. This is a minor issue, though.

The gearing is a little weird. While pulling my son in a trailer, I almost ran out of gearing. Since then, I have decided to swap my 105 RD for a Deore and more appropriate cassette [the bike is in the shop for this right now].

I previously had owned a Surly LHT, and was just never really comfortable on it. I was in the right size and everything, but for someone with long legs and short arms, Surly bikes just tend to be a little too long in the top tube.

This bike felt great the first second I was on it - something I have never felt in any other bike before. I just wish it weren't so heavy sometimes. I might remove the rack and run some 28s on it just to make it feel a little livelier.

The paint seems to be kind of flaky too. Is this common?

Last question - and this is more mechanical. The brakes stink. On my roadie, if I barely pull the lever, I am braking and braking pretty hard. On the Randonee, for me to have enough cable to work with to get the cable off of the cantilever caliper, it seems like I have to squeeze the brake levers pretty hard before the pads hit the rim. Even then, they seem to just not want to stop the bike all that well. Is this just the difference in a 20 lb roadie and a 30+ lb tourer? I had always thought that cantilever brakes were supposed to be better brakes than road calipers - is that the case? Or is there some quick release on the brake lever that I don't know about to help take up some of that cable slack?