Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about Kaisei 022 tubing.

Hi. First time in this section.
Have a few questions about Kaisei 022.

Background-
I recently purchased a EAI toyo Godzilla frame. Choosing to go with steel over Alum for several reasons, I ordered my frame without having ever actually held one or ridden the frame. Just from research online.

Now, vie ridden and held the EAI bare knuckle frame, Dedacciai COM 12.5 double butted cro-moly, many times and I was under the assumption that it was a very good frame. But after getting my TOYO and opening it at the shop I was blown away.

The Bareknuckle is still, IMO, a wonderful frame. But....I'm confused as to why, I think, this toyo feels better.

I was reading Sheldon Brown and he said this:
"Like stiffness, the specific gravity of a given metal is not significantly affected by the addition of different alloying elements. Although your bike may have a sticker saying "Lite Steel (TM)," in fact, all steel is equally heavy"

This is now very confusing to me. If "ALL" steel is equally heavy, then why is my frame so damned light?

When I picked it up, compared to let's say a, cinelli gazzetta (Columbus steel), it is heavier. BUT, this is in NO WAY a professional method or anything, I starting tapping both frames with my finger, and the TOYO seemed more "hollow" and thin walled. Even my local LBS owner did the same thing...
She noticed that it sounds and feels more "hollow" or thin walled.

I'm very amazed at the material strength and lightness of this frame.

I'm not trying to start a heavy debate or argument between which is better Type of steel.
This is some amazing steel. Even though people keep on telling it's very strong, it just seems like it's very fragile, due to the weight and how "hollow" it feels...

Please help me understand if this is good steel, and if it is really as good as people say it is, why does it have the properties that it's does?

Thanks

Socks