View Single Post
Old 07-31-10, 10:44 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Yes, this is caused by the play and flexibility of the Burley rubber hitch tongue. I mean, it's essentially caused by an uneven pedal stroke, but the flexible hitch exacerbates the effect.

The only way I've found to mitigate it is to be smoother on the pedals, and I'm interested to hear of other possible solutions, although I think the only thing to be done, really, is to replace the tongue with a material that has less horizontal flexibility while retaining the flex in the vertical axis.

I should add that I don't use a Burley trailer, but I do use their forged hitch, tongue and pin, and experience this myself. I wouldn't call it severe gyration, however, and perhaps if it is, it may be time for a tongue replacement. I imagine they fatigue and get more prone to stretching, but I don't know.

Last edited by chaadster; 07-31-10 at 10:51 AM.