Old 07-31-10, 11:09 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6765 Post(s)
Liked 5,476 Times in 3,222 Posts
This guy hit the nail on the head with his observation about the local bike path.

and the bike path gives cars the right-of-way at every intersection. For someone who wants to make time and get a good workout, the Capitol City path sucks.
Bike Paths in a lot of places aren't designed by cyclists. They can be a total waste of tax money. They are designed to let the politicians feel all good about being "green" and making a claim that their city is "bike-friendly".

My nearby city added, to much hoopla and publicity, less than a mile of bike path down a very wide, low traffic residential street by painting a lane where none was needed. It was not needed to make cycling down that street any safer or more inviting.

I too was nearly run over while riding a bike path. It was my fault for not seeing a miniature sized STOP sign placed to the left of the path easily 10 feet from the left shoulder of the path. Painting STOP on the asphalt would have been more visible to me.

He also discusses the driver's feeling of having the right to the road because they are licensed. I've been thinking about this. It seems to me that the ability to use the road in a motor vehicle is a privilege conferred by holding that license. The cyclist has the right to use the road within statutory restrictions.

Great article. Thanks for sharing that, Tom.