djb

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 401 Posts
tricross sport owner, got it over other cyclocross options for
-triple crank 50-40-30
-wide range cassette 11-32
-three water bottle spots, brackets for racks, fenders, front fort rack bracket also.
-wheelbase/chainstay length very well suited to what I am happy with for steering quickness (it is rather stable, ie slow compared to others, more like a touring bike, which is fine for me) and bike pannier/heel clearance is not an issue.

I use it on the road, have 28 tires on it. For me this was a good compromise of a tough frame, wheelset that would be good for some touring, commuting as it is made for cyclocross roughhousing, and it makes for a fun "sort of road bike" Gearing may be too wide for you if you would prefer a closer spaced cassette, double crank bike (the tricross comp has this, mine is a Sport-Canadian version with a deore LX rear derailleur to handle the 11-32)

other cyclocross bikes have quicker geometry, double cranks, 105 mounted etc which may be more what you are looking for. As I put panniers on my bike, I was basically looking for a "sport touring" sort of bike (but with a triple crank and wide range cassette for hilly stuff I bike on often) , and a cyclocross bike seemed to me as a great option, and while I dont race at all, its nice to be able to slap some diff tires on it if a lot of gravel road stuff was in the cards.