Old 08-02-10, 11:09 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geo Cruise
Summer is easy I can get everywhere and everything I want on my bike, but we get 4 feet of snow here and 8 foot snow banks the roads are too dangerous to try to winter ride around here so I rely on family and public transport for about 5 months a year.
I live in a part of Ontario that gets a fair amount of snowfall too. Although some love to cycle in the snow and cold, I wouldn't dream of it. I like to cycle, not dread it. I can usually manage until about mid November, and then pick it up again in March or so. There are usually some days in the winter that I can sneak in a ride or two because it's not that cold or snowy out.

When it's really cold and snowy, as you do, I commute on foot or by bus. Not using the bicycle does not mean necessarily having to revert back to the car. A bicycle is often not the only way to get around in the community as you have shown; buses, taxis and friends are other ways.

But when the weather turns warmer, (around here it's about mid March,) I start riding the bicycle pretty much all the time. It feels so good to be around my favourite mode of transportation again