Old 08-03-10, 11:03 AM
mikeronson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I negotiated the following- of which I only understand the terminology a tiny bit:

Full tune up including crank set, repacking bearings
new chain.
New brakes and brake cables
New rear derailleur
labor to True and install two wheels (my wheels).

$250

Yes the bike has sentimental value. I disagree that the bike is old and unreliable. Mine has been exceedingly reliable with original parts on it. I rode the bike (a LOT) daily in a hilly city including during the Winter for 8 months without a single problem.

The bike also fits me incredibly well.

I agree that learning to work on my bike more than changing flats, etc is a very good idea. I'm slowly learning!

So for $250 it's worth it to me.

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted by digger
$400 would be about right for that amount of work for new parts. Strickly speaking in Canadian dollars; a new wheelset can cost $200, tires & tubes=$30, cables (De & Br)=$20, brake pads=$15, tune-up=$50(ish), guaranteed there will be something else to need replacing (housing maybe).

If it was me:
I recommend HillRiders advice - buy a new bike to suit your riding preferences.

I would keep the Grand Prix and rebuild it over time with parts I would find on sale at my LBS OR on Ebay, Craigslist, PinkBike, etc. This would teach you a bit about bicycle repair. Plus it would make a good beater bike for say running errands, commuting, etc so if it gets stolen, then it is not as huge a loss as your new bike.

But if you aren't into that, then I'd either sell ($50 or so) or give it away. Don't put $400 into it all at once for sure.