Old 08-04-10, 08:15 PM
hsilman

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.5fx Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drafting Etiquette

I was cruising along the Hudson River Greenway today on my way home from work when I happened to be barely passed by a couple of guys going slightly faster than my normal cruising speed. I decided to drop in behind them for a bit since they were going my way, the lead on a road bike and the follower on a mtb with slicks.

Anyways, I end up drafting off them for a good 3 miles or so before my turn off and it helped me easily gain about 3 mph over my usual pace and expend a lot less energy.

My question is, do you generally mind when people are sucking your wind? It seemed like they knew each other, and they knew what I was up to. They never seemed annoyed or said anything to me. It was actually a nice break on my way home to not have to fight the wind off the water for the whole 5 miles.

But, being new to cycling I didn't want to do anything rude or break some kind of unwritten code. Also, I don't know physics that well but was I making the lead guy work harder to "pull" me forward?

just wondering how you guys feel about strangers pacing you when you are out for a ride?