View Single Post
Old 08-06-10, 02:00 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Shimano is the fallback position, as far as I know. There is a case that while they are kinda cheap, they are very strong due to high quality big company features like cold forging (are they still?) vs. billet hubs, and they have loose bearings. No dedicated touring versions

If it was me, I would get a set of Phil Freewheel hubs, save 250, and the look is a lot more classic, and the weight is a lot better, about 4 ounces less. If you like there are the Riv version of Phils with a high flange, one spoke length front and back like the Phil Touring.

I have two sets of the white hubs, and they are really pretty, but they don't seem as well thought out as the Phils. Phil makes touring specific hubs. The Whites are lighter in Cassette form, they have a Ti shell which seems like a good idea.

Velo Orange has a new set of hubs coming out soon. They are freewheel design, sealed bearings, max rear end is 130. Interesting feature is slotted spoke holes on the freewheel side for in the field replacement. Be a long time until we know if they are durable as premium hubs.

Last time I looked for DT hubs they were really expensive, but on occasion I have found good deals on them. They are arguably the best touring hub, due to superb quality and loose bearing. They have a ton of models that often leads to their being overstocked.