Old 08-07-10, 10:50 PM
koamileli

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for my 2 cents! If you're lucky, you have an LBS that will work with you on trading problem saddles. There are also a few websites that will help you out and allow you to return them. Sometimes I feel like giving opinions on saddles is worthless, because NOBODY EVER AGREES ON ANYTHING. This is the most highly argued point in cycling. Rightly so, it's your taint we're talking about here. Riding style and body composition are the two biggest factors I believe. And you really need to give any saddle you try a little bit of time. a 10 mile ride isnt going to cut it.
As for myself, I only discovered Brooks about 3 years ago, and now I have 3, and am a loyal customer for life. Even so, I experimented around the lineup till I found the plain ol' B-17 regular is tops for me. I tried afterward for the B-17 narrow imperial and it hurt like a mother, even after 200 miles. I learned that my big ass needs a wide saddle. Keep in mind, they all need to be broken in. I'm also going to second a comment I read in this thread about putting proofide on the bottom of a new Brooks, not only does it help it break in quicker, it waterproofs the underside. Just don't polish it off! Apply and leave it.
You must also have your adjustments dialed in perfect, even the best saddle will rip you to shreds if incorrectly mounted. Be patient, take lots of test rides, making little adjustments here and there, and if possible, mark your rails once dialed so that if you ever have to change saddles (what I did until I bought another brooks for my other bike) you won't have to spend another week getting the fit just right. Having an equal balance of pressure on your saddle, bars, and pedals is also key, which leads into full bike fit.
I personally don't have the money to blow on a $400 bike fit, but I have the time and willingness to spend hours tweaking the bike till it's perfect. I'm sure pro fitters have their place, but at the end of the day, YOU are the one feeling things, not him. You just have to learn how to diagnose yourself like a doctor. Good luck in your quest!
p.s. I rode the STP (218 miles) on my B-17 withOUT a chamois ass pad. Try that with your "pro" 5 gram saddle