Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by tastest
I am in a very similar position to canopus. Over the last few years I have increased my crusing speed from about 22 kph to 25 kph, but my average is still usually around 22 kph and I want to increase it. The numbers are general and normal speed on flatish road without strong winds.

So I aslo currently ride at 25 kph (15 mph) and want to increase it to 30 kph (18mph). Let's say I want to maintain that speed for a century. It is better to:

1) start riding at 30 kph (18mph) for as long as I can, probably only 20-30 minutes, and gradually increase the time I can maintain that speed; or

2) ride at say 27 kph (16 mph), which I can probably do for 2 hours, and increase to 6 hours, then ride at 28 kph (17 mph) until I can do for 6 hours, then ride at 30 kph.

In other words, ride much faster but for short period, or gradually increase speed over longer periods? The answer might be both. Thanks
None of the above.

I think you should start a thread on the Training and Nutrition forum, noting that it's LD average speed you want to increase.

To ride comfortably at 18, you have to ride lots faster than 18. I can average 18 on a fairly hilly ride, but that means I can ride 25 on the flat for short periods. My 1 minute max is around 30. An over 50 biking buddy of mine just averaged 17.5 on RAMROD. I'm 65 and have an average VO2max. It's not that hard, you just have to learn how to train, and to a lesser degree, how to set up your bike for efficient high speeds. 18 is sort of a separator speed. Most any position and equipment work at 18 or less. When you get faster than that, the freaking squared speed laws of physics become quite noticeable.

Another not entirely obvious thing is you have to learn to put out power efficiently. That can take years, but it's worth learning to do. It's possible to get a lot more sustained power out of the averagely talented human than you'd think.

Another thing which should be obvious but which many people ignore, is the concept of banking pain. You need to suffer. Every time you suffer, you put that pain in the bank. On a brevet, you're going to want to make withdrawals, but the pain has to be there first. The more pain you bank, the less you'll suffer on a brevet. They don't call it The Dark Side of Cycling for nothing.

The subforum on Road Racing on the Road Cycling forum has a sticky with good information on various exercises.

Homeyba knows more about this than almost anyone. He once said (hope he doesn't mind if I quote him):

"No, you don't just ride a lot. Actually you don't need to ride a ton of miles. What is more important is the quality of the miles that you put in. Speed and climbing work are essential. When I train for an ultra I usually ride 3-4 times a week. One day of speed work about 25 miles, one day of climbing repeats also about 25 miles (1 1/2hrs) one recovery day ride 30-35miles and a longer ride on the weekend 45-75miles. I'll throw in centuries and double centuries here and there just for fun."

After you've digested that info, start a thread on T&N.