View Single Post
Old 08-12-10, 05:13 PM
Big6ft6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A LBS is famous for offering steam cleaning service for bikes, he often has a backlog and people wait a week to get their bike clean, he has been doing it for 5+ years. A bunch of the people I ride with have their bikes steam-cleaned more than once a year and nobody has ever ever a problem in the years they've been doing it. Since I've never seen it done I don't want to mislead people, I'm not sure how he does it, maybe he only uses the steam on some parts? But I have to say the result is showroom clean, pretty amazing. I've never done it becuase like others on this forum, I don't need my bike to look like it is from the showroom, especially for $100/cleaning.

Which brings to me to how I found this forum. Harbor freight has a sweet steam cleaner for $99. I thought I could do my own cleaning forever for a one-time $99 cost. And I could use it for other things as well, but the biek jumped out at me right away based on the great results of steam cleaning I've seen on other's bikes. So I set out to search about other people's success. I was surprised to frind this thread and to see the consensus seems to be negative for steam cleaning.

It seems to me using steam would be far less dangerous than any type of solvent. I'd pause much longer before using any type of solvent or cleaner than I would before using steam. Solvents with the force of a human arm and brush get past seals as well, however once solvents get into those places that actually prevent future lubrant from working properly ever again unless you can get the solvent out of those places.

The steam simply reduces the viscosity of the grease/gunk on your drive train so it actually drips off and takes with it all the grit and grime. However since it isn't a solvent it doesn't destroy oil like cleaners do, and if it gets past a seal, a good lube job would push the water back out (oil and water don't mix).

In fact cleaning with team would leave a very thin film of good oil on all surfaces that originally had lubricant on them. I can't picture any seals or areas on my bike that would be extra sensitive to hot water. I didn't notice anyone actually mentioning a specific seal they were concerned about, which ones are those against steam thinking of?

I just wanted to share my different viewpoint and experience with this local shop for others who might come upon this subject.

Last edited by Big6ft6; 08-13-10 at 08:42 AM.