Old 08-13-10, 04:48 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
This photo shows (IMO) a great Clyde Bicycle~! Note the more upright seating, with the handlebars as high, or higher than the seat? Makes for a more relaxed ride, more comfortable, and easiser to stop and start as one that may not be quite as *agile* as one used to be.

I chose to go with 2 inch (width) tires - good ones - Marathons as I wanted a bit more security under me, and felt at the time that I might be too big for narrower tires (know now that I was wrong) - but I personally would (at my current riding level and style) not go below 1.5 inch high pressure tires of good quality (think 1.5" = 40mm??) As I ride both pavement and gravel and have yet to have a single flat (knock wood). I do agree with the earlier comment about pedals~! I killed the stock ones within 250 miles...

Again, look to what looks and feels great to you *right now* - rather than what you *may* want down the road.
The real key, a lot of people put off buying a bicycle, because they don't think they are able to ride the kind of bicycle they think they would like. Lots of people look at a road bike and think they couldn't possibly ride it, I think a 200kg uberclyde can ride a road bike, it just needs to be properly setup for them.

Some of the setup is the bars, with a threadless stem, you need to have the steerer left long and use spacers so that the bars are above the saddle, you need a frame and wheels that will accommodate a 40mm tire with fenders(1.5 inches is 38.1mm actually), wheels should be built 3 cross with 36 spokes and bomb proof rims, properly tensioned and tuned. The transmission should have a triple up front, with anything 9 speed or more in the back, and a nice low 20 gear inch low end. Fenders are a good idea because there are fewer weather excuses. 2 or 3 bottle racks, are a good idea, big guys need a lot of water. Thinking about this, the perfect road oriented bike for an uberclyde is a touring bike as they are often setup this way.