View Single Post
Old 08-14-10, 02:27 PM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QueueCT
Thanks for the thoughts. Any worries about touring with the periscopes, particularly with the geometry of the frame? I know we won't get much flex to begin with since the girls won't be doing much work but worry about it down the line.

Regarding coasting, my biggest concern is that they'll provide 'negative work' if the drive train is coupled. I suppose that's just a learning curve for them.

Finally, being in SW CT any suggested dealers? Tandems East is about 2.5-3 hours. Closer would be nice.

John
Gear to go has a decent inventory, but I don't recall seeing any periscopes there.

We were there for the Saranac Lake Tandem Rally late June.

As far as coasting is concerned, yes, the negative work is part of the learning for them. There's an article in the current Adventure Cycling written by a mother who is half of a couple that has two kids who tour on two tandems. The never pedalling back or stopping hard was something that was trained early on. Fun article.