seejohnbike
Disgruntled Grad Student

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cross Pro, Cross Comp, TK2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whatchu talkin bout?

Your title says wheelsets, but in the post, you say hubs. In either case, with hubs, go for Formulas (or their re-brands. I think Iro hubs are just rebranded formulas, but I could be mistaken) or better. For wheelsets, go for something with an proven track record. If you're in doubt of anything being a re-brand, or a different make all together, just ask around/search.

Best to go with known brands/re-brands. Granted, no-name stuff might be just fine, but then again it could be utter ****. Given the no-name nature of the products, there's few ways to cross-reference/compare good no-name stuff to bad no-name stuff. Best to pay a little bit more so you know exactly what you're getting.

Related story: a buddy of mine was checking out an amazon or ebay seller regarding a set of all black wheels, deep-ish profile rime (about a deep v), and formula looking hubs. The seller post didn't say what kind of rims/hubs they were, and when my buddy emailed him, he got a response saying that the seller legit didn't know what kind they were, as they were both incredibly generic, and completely unmarked. Needless to say, he didn't buy that wheelset.