Old 08-14-10, 05:58 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Jim from Boston,
Sounds like a great ride. I bet you worked harder than me today riding in the same general area. I'm sorry you found Rt 117. I've held on for dear life east of Rt 126 forced by traffic over the worst of the "pavement."
Quite the opposite, I massbiked their century through lexingtonlincolnconcordactonboxboroughlittletonharvardayergrotonshirleytownsendbrooklinehollisnashua pepperelldunstablegrotonwestfordcarlislebedfordlexington on an incredibly smooth, nearly flat route. I was shocked.
As you said, perfect weather, but MassBike chose smooth, fresh pavement and managed to find a hill-less route. Ok there were obligatory rollers around ponds near Groton and long hills going towards Hollis, NH but good golly it seemed from Dunstable to Great Brook Farm State Park to Westford I barely shifted gears.
I did find a hill entering Carlisle where my derailleur finally jammed but riding a two speed to Lexington, I think I only climbed over Rt 128 (aka 95). 18 mph (solo, no drafting!) based on ride time and 16.7 based on elapsed time. Elapsed time includes consulting the cue sheet, refilling water bottles and scoffing fig newtons.
I'm renewing my MassBike membership. They are powerful. No one else could come up with such a route. Now if we could get them to tackle Rt 117.

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 08-14-10 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spacing