Old 08-15-10, 02:57 PM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may as well answer, since when I used to commute I did it on my steel Gios. You may also want to check on the commuting forum on this board - although I always found that they were too quick to tell people that they needed a special "commuting" bike. I always felt any decent road bike with reasonable components was ok for commuting, but that sentiment was not shared by the other folks on that forum.

My only concern is the gravel you say you will be riding on - do you mean that literally? You said "25% gravel", but you also said "25% potholes" so maybe you are just saying that the roadside where you live is potholed and littered with gravel? If you are just dealing with gravel on the roadside, I think the bike is ready to go as shown. Also, I can't see why you would want to replace the Deep-V's that are on there now - those look like ideal commuting wheels to me.

If your commute really includes 2 miles each way of unpaved gravel road/path, you may want to go with 28 or 32 mm tires, provided you have the clearance for them.