Old 08-16-10, 03:51 PM
Jiffyjam

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't like bike lanes. Bike lanes do nothing to enhance our safety and often put us in dangerous positions. They're debris lanes, obstacle lanes, they put us in the 'door prize zone,' and all too often they end when they might go some good: at intersections. When they don't end where we need them most, they often put us where drivers don't see us, or have us doing dumb things like going straight from the right of a right turn lane. Mostly they're there for the convenience of motorists, not us. From what I've seen, bike lanes tend to ****** cyclists' vehicular cycling skills - beginners can just follow the lane, secure in their assumption that the 2mm high white line will prevent cars from hitting them.

Unfortunately, they're the most likely bicycling facility to be built, for a number of economic reasons, as well as the fact that they're preferred by all those beginner cyclists.
I'm sure everything you say is correct...in this case White Oak Road is a two lane back road that has become heavily traveled. The white lines run along the very edge with washed out dropouts on either side, there is NO place to go if you are crowded. Adding lanes along here would be very helpful as I have seen more and more riders along this road. I'v never had the occasion to ride a bike lane in my area cause I always ride back, rural roads so I don't know what possible drawbacks they might design into them.