Old 08-18-10, 01:51 PM
Whiteknight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
It's been implied a couple times now on this forum that I'm running too high of a PSI on my Trek 7.3FX because I'm not 200+ lbs. The tires are 700x32 race lite hard case tires, and I run them at 100-105psi. On the sidewall it recommends 110psi.

I weigh 165lbs, and I ride on fairly smooth road surfaces only.

Am I doing it wrong, or what? My presumption was higher psi = less rolling resistance. Also I should mention that comfort isn't much of an issue as 60 mile rides on the bike have been fine.

Thanks for the help.
I ride a Trek Multitrack. Two weeks ago I pulled the Conti Touring Plus tires off the bike. Wore them out in 1900 miles. Bought a Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase in 700x32c and a Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case 700x30c. Local LBS did not have either as a pair.
Mounted them. I am running them at 80 psi. Lower rolling resistance compared to the conti's. Not a hard riding tire at 80 psi.

The Multitrack comes with budget price rims. The LBS suggested that I not run the new tires at the max 110 psi as I might see distortion of the rims as a result. I weight 180 pounds. The bike has a rack on the back. Medical kit, repair stuff and a few odds and ends. In this hot weather I am carrying 4 frozen 20 ounce drink bottles and one in the rack on the frame. So on most rides the weight is roughly 200 pounds.

So far, I really like the way the new tires ride and handle.