Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
1. Helmet
Most Definitely.

2. Floor pump
Also on the list.

3. frame pump/spare tube/bike multi tool (useful for tightening up things that have come loose or making minor adjustments)
3a. Lock, if you plan on leaving the bike anyplace unattended.
Frame pump, yeah, spare tube, yep, multitool i'm not sure of yet, I don't think I'd really be adjusting much if anything on my bike, I get the first year of tuneups, etc. free with bike purchase. Lock I'm guessing basically any cheapish lock, just because locks imo only keep the honest people honest.

4. Cycling shorts
Still iffy on this, may try one of those gel/lycra seat covers first.

4a. Cycling shoes/clipless pedals or alternately, upgraded pedals.
This I'm not sure on yet, I was relatively happy with the pedals that come on the bike, as I ride it I'm sure I may find out more on what I might want. I've never ridden with cycling shoes or the clipless pedals before.

5. front or rear rack for the bike (to carry anything from a 6 pack to groceries, to a jacket) and/or a seatbag.
I was looking into racks, just wasn't sure what to get yet, I'll have to speak to the people at the bike shop and see if there's anything they recommend.

6. Rack for transporting your bike
Don't have a vehicle, so I'm not sure how useful this will be for me at all. I'll keep it in mind that if I need to have someone bring me to the bikeshop instead of riding my bike to the shop that this could come in pretty handy.

7. Gloves
Thought about this, I'm gonna see how I ride without for now, never ridden with gloves before, but I can see how they would be very comfort oriented.

8. Computer (cool to have, but not essential when starting out)
Main reason for me wanting a computer is if I don't see progress, I'm unlikely to keep going, most of my riding at the beginning will be mostly flat, with some small inclines until I feel more comfortable on the bike, so having mileage to show for it is going to be helpful for me I think.

9. Extra water bottle holder and water bottles
Was already considering this, extra cost isn't too much, and I can see how this would be helpful.

10. sunglasses, if you don't already own a pair
I'm not really sure on what kind of sunglasses I'd like as I haven't worn them in so long, thinking a bike helmet with a sunshade/visor will keep me happy for at least a little while.

11. Cycling jersey
Something to think about, but for now I'm thinking to just get out on the trail and ride. I can see how this could feel much cooler than a t-shirt though.