Old 08-20-10, 11:34 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Excellent response, tsl.

I've never actually heard anyone say this, but one attitude seems to be the "easier exercise" trap. I need to walk 5 miles every day, that's too hard, so I'll buy a bike and ride 5 miles, thinking somehow I'll get the benefit without the effort, and that's just not the case. If you live where it's flat, you can coast around on a bike at 5 or 6 mph and have less effort than walking. But if you want to accomplish anything in the way of fitness, it takes work, whether on a bike or not.

A bicycle makes forward motion more efficient. It doesn't help a lot for moving upwards, though. If you have trouble walking up that hill, or have to walk slowly because you're out of breath, then don't expect to ride up it much if any faster (and maybe slower, because now you're also moving a 20 or 30 or 40 lb bike up the hill.) That doesn't mean don't do it, just means to anticipate some effort involved. I used to walk up a steep hill near my house, and have actually passed mountain bikers riding while I was walking.

The key to going up hills is getting the gearing right where you can turn the pedals at a reasonable speed, instead of turning them very slowly with great effort ("mashing"). When you go bike shopping, keep that hill in mind. It may mean a triple sprocket up front, or mountain-bike gearing or whatever it takes- but it does take some consideration. You also want some first-class brakes, too!

An attitude that brings about defeat: When your legs get all rubbery the first day, you can either say, "Dang, that's too hard" and give it up forever (like my wife) or say "Dang, I'm weak, I'd better keep doing this and build up my strength!" (like me).

Another attitude that brings about defeat: The perfect weather trap. It's too hot to ride. Now it's too windy. Now it's too cold. Now it's too rainy. Now it's too dark. You can never run out of excuses to avoid exercise. Here in North Texas, there's about 2 months a year where it's actually pleasant, so if you want to actually do anything outdoors, you just have to do it anyway, instead of waiting for a cool/sunny/warm/still/dry day.

Another attitude that brings defeat: "I can't go anywhere new, because I might get lost." I'll see a street, wonder "Where does that go, anyway?" and go down it. But my wife can't do that because she's afraid she might get lost. I get lost, too, just I've done it enough that I'm used to being lost and it doesn't bother me anymore. Ride, explore, learn to use maps.