Old 08-23-10, 06:33 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Bike parking at work--Sometimes you have to take the initiative

As you may know, at home, I store my bikes like this in the living room.

I use the Saris Locking Bike Trac so that no bike is ever left home alone and unlocked. (No it's not the neighborhood, I learned the hard way at my last place. I had a bike stolen and it was clearly an "inside job". I won't ever let that happen again.)

I'm very fortunate at work. Staff gets indoor bike parking. I've been leaving the bikes leaned up against some shelves in the server room. With the new budget, they're restoring bookmobile service. The bookmobile people need storage space. There goes my parking spot.

I was offered the basement, but the door swings the wrong way and has one of those automatic door slammers on it. I couldn't see wrestling with that at the top of the stairs twice daily, if there was an alternative. What did my little eye see? Sixteen inches of empty space between the safe and the wall.

I know from mounting the racks in my living room that I need 12" between the wall and the rack's centerline. Hmmm… So asked my boss, "If I buy a wall mount rack, is it okay if I mount it here?" Showed her the pic of my living room too. She said it was okay.

I ordered the ordinary, non-locking version of the Saris Bike Trac. It came in last week. I took it to work today, bungeed to the Portland.

I marked the wall where it should go and maintenance will install it Real Soon Now. I just have to get a 16" wide boot tray to put under the bike for slush season.

Long story short, sometimes, all you need to do is ask, and buy it yourself. $40 bought me my own parking spot for as long as I work at that branch.