Old 08-24-10, 02:40 PM
cab chaser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Frame Time - Motobecane Track Pro or Dawes SST AL??

I've been riding single speed for about four years in NYC on the same frame, which was recently damaged (I wrecked!). The frame is still rideable, but I want to replace it because I don't think I can trust it forever (some pretty big top-tube dents, frame is ALU).

I like stiff aluminum frames, and am on a budget. I'm not a huge geek when it comes to bike tech, but I like good stuff. I plan on putting all of my old components on the new bike. Here is my current bike:

Cannondale Capo Frame (52), Cane Creek Track V Wheelset, Sugino 75 cranks/chainring (50t), Thomson X4stem, Thomson Elite seatpost, Syncros AM saddle, SRAM Force brakes (front and rear), Profile Design Airwing bars+levers. White Industries freewheel (16t). I can't remember what I have in the BB but I suspect it may be junk. Winwood Fanatacist Carbon fork, FSA Headset that I know nothing about.

So I'd like to just move all of the components to the new Frame.

So I'm trying to choose between the Motobecane Team Track, and the Dawes SST (which is unbelievably cheap). Both will cost me about the same, (since I would only be buying the MTT frame, and the Dawes isn't sold with a frame-only option). I'm assuming that the MTT is a better frame given that it costs as much stripped down as the Dawes does built up, but there are some things about the Dawes that I like. I need some help choosing, but overall, I'm interested in getting the best frame I can in my budget (under 400, shipped).

I use my bike to get around town, and get to and from work - I occasionally will participate in a century ride but that's really not my thing. I don't do tricks, but I do tend to ride pretty fast and bang through a lot of crappy road surfaces and potholes at speed so durability is nice. Irritating decals aside, I like the capo ... It has held up. My gut says: get the Motobecane, the only reason I am looking at the Dawes is:

I think white bikes are ugly ... and that orange isn't any better. If I get the Motobecane I will be stripping it, polishing it and clear coating it ... that is a pain but I can do it myself. (yes, I realize that this is ridiculous. I like the way raw aluminum looks and I don't mind tedious projects.)

The dawes on the other hand, comes in a raw ALU flavor which is obviously less work for me, but I don't mind doing the work myself.

I'm leaning towards the motobecane, but I'd like to hear what people here have to say.

Thanks!