Old 08-24-10, 06:33 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Miracle of miracles! Maintenance installed the rack this morning! It was there on the wall when I got to work this afternoon.

No pics today because I rode the Litespeed, which has no rack, and the camera lives inside the Tailrider, which needs to ride on a rack. Maybe tomorrow, but certainly on Thursday.

Originally Posted by no motor?
Cool! Can you keep the snake to guard your bike while you're working?
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
Its job is guarding the safe.
Yes, the snake will guard the bikes too. Any one of my bikes is worth more than what we're allowed to keep in the safe.

Originally Posted by Aeneas
Did you order the locking racks thru a LBS? Can't seem to find pricing details on the site. Is it critical they are attached to studs?

Also, that's a really faded tailrider! Or is it supposed to be orange? That level of exposure for an Arkel is a tribute to your dedication to cycling!
I ordered all my racks from the LBS. The locking model isn't available through QBP. It has to be ordered direct from Saris, so you'll need to be sure your LBS can do that, or that their distribution can order from Saris direct. Trek dealers, for instance, can order it through Trek, but it takes a month or two to come in. This time I ordered from an LBS who could order direct, and it arrived in just six days.

The locking racks are $80 for John Q. Public, although I'm sure there's a discount for quantity when used in their intended, commercial parking application. Oh, and since they're so heavy, the LBS charged actual freight charges.

No, they're not mounted in the studs. I use six oversized anchors and screws per rack in the lath and plaster walls at home. They seem to be well-mounted. For the non-locking one at work, Maintenance used two #12 screws and anchors in the drywall. It too seems to be adequately mounted.

Yes, that is a really faded Tailrider. It's supposed to be fire truck red, not pale orange. On the bottom, it is still fire truck red. Until this year, all my bikes had racks, so it's only this season that it hasn't gone everywhere on every ride.