Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Commuting by kayak? That sounds really, really cool. I'd love to hear the challenges that offers and the silly little things you need to do to make it possible (where do you store laptops and cell phones? Clothes, etc.?).
it's not as complicated as it at first may seem. i don't carry a laptop with me on my commutes (whether by bike or by kayak, it's too much dead weight). as for clothes and shoes and cell phone and other things that don't get along well with water, i use a simple dry bag that i picked up at REI for like 10 bucks.

Originally Posted by kegoguinness
Folding kayak. Just awesome. So do you gussy it up with needless crap like all us bikeys do? You know, cork tape on the paddle handles, Dinotte headlight on the bow, a Showers Pass spray skirt with reflective piping, titanium hull ?
nah, i keep it as simple as i can for weight reasons, kinda like my bikes. "simple and clean" is my mantra. i've got good paddling gloves, so need for tape on the stick. for lights, i use a simple LED headlamp. my trip home on the river is all flat water, so there's no need for spray skirts or anything like that (though i do own one for when i'm out on the lake). and the hull is a material called hypalon, which is a rubber infused nylon. metals of any kind would not be suitable for the hull of a folding kayak because you need a watertight fabric that can be folded.

Originally Posted by JPprivate
Wow!! I ride along the channel pretty much every morning, I gotta keep an eye out for you
if you look for me along the channel in the mornings, you won't find me, as i'm only out there after work in the late afternoon/early evening.