Old 08-25-10, 09:51 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billh92109
I would actually like to see some comparatives - out of curiousity. Is there a way to measure wattage during a run so we can compare? I wonder if the calorie burn for running any cycling is similar at similar perceived exertions or if there is a marked difference...
I don't have access to a power-tap type device on my bike.

I'd think a treadmill may accurate give power for running. The variables that introduces are the "enclosed" feeling on a treadmill often causes people to alter their stride, and two, wind resistance, though I suspect it's fairly negligible at non-elite running speeds.

The "perceived exertion" may be hard to quantify, maybe basing it on heart-rate rather than "feeling".

Edit:
I would hypothesize, that cycling would consume more calories at the same heart rate. Cycling I suspect engages more muscle groups in the legs, and also the core, certainly feels like it in the quads/calves etc, and possibly upper body if your wrenching on the handlebars, etc. When I'm pushing it in the drops, knees come up and can touch my rib cage... that's some pretty intense muscle contractions/extensions you don't get when running.

Last edited by Menel; 08-25-10 at 09:55 AM.