View Single Post
Old 08-27-10, 08:37 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by thestoutdog
Txt from The Historian last night:

"Hiked to Mt. Davis top, 3200 feet. Saw 3 more covered bridges. Dinner@ High Point Lake overlook. Short hike tomorrow here, then riding and hiking in Ohiopyle."
I saw one more covered bridge (Lower Humbert, outside Confluence), and hiked in Ohiopyle State Park. God must have planned the latter as a water playground. Aside from 79 miles of hiking trails, some MTB singletrack, the 300 mile Great Allegheny Passage, the 70 mile Laurel Highlands hiking trail, and the whitewater, there are natural water slides on Meadow Run. I slid down twice, although I had to push myself along because of the low water level. The sandstone leaves grit on your shorts and back, but also is slick as glass - I slipped once when entering, and had to crab-crawl to get out. I have bruises on both legs and my left hip from the sliding. Still, it was fun, and needed since I hadn't bathed in three days prior.

Someone sent me a cell phone video of my time in the water slide, but it seems none of my friends can get the forwarded message. I'd hoped someone had posted it, because I look darn silly. :-)

Spent the night on Mount Davis alone, JAGraham having gone home for the night to rest. I'm in Meyersdale. I'll finish up in town in a couple of hours and drive to Cumberland, MD. The plan is to ride to Oldtown this afternoon, get picked up, leave the car in Cumberland, and spend one more night on PA's tallest peak. Saturday and Sunday I'll ride from Ohiopyle to Cumberland, overnighting in Rockwood at the campground, and drive home from the Queen City.