View Single Post
Old 08-28-10, 07:44 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice above - get your sit bones measured (I think Specialized dealers have a pad you sit on that leaves an impression - mine's 115 MM).

Check the Trek archives? Find out what seat was on your old bike?

Maybe a comfortable saddle is an impossible goal for some riders? I had tried 6 saddles. The best was a Specialized Avatar 123 (the correct size for my sit bone size, according to the fitter). I tried an Avatar 143 and it felt much, much better, so much so that after a 5-mile spin I paid the $90. After a while I find I am still uncomfortable frequently, I often need to re-position myself, and I often like to coast with my fanny elevated. So it's better, but I'm sure not satisfied yet. I always believed that I should just HTFU, but I've ridden 2,000 miles in the 13 weeks I've been riding. I sat on a demo bike with an Arione saddle (fantastic reviews) and thought it seemed dreadful. I hope someday I happen on a seat that works perfectly, but in the meantime I ride and "adjust."

Good luck.