Old 08-28-10, 09:33 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Maybe some of you used cheaper locks than I use...but a car jack isn't taking out a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4, not without either hurting you, the bike or both. A little grinder powered by a lap top battery? Have fun with that. I'd have gone the locksmith route, except it happened to me on a Sunday, and I didn't trust that someone else wouldn't get through it if left over night (or strip parts).

I ended up getting bailed out by my dad...it was actually one of the funnier, yet embarrassing moments I've had. First I tried freon and a hammer, with crowbar. NOTHING. I tried picking it...that was futile. I even tried the car jack...and it wouldn't have fit without hurting the bike.

I had locked it on Chestnut Street...right downtown in Philadelphia's shopping district. My father came out with a HUGE generator...one he uses for the house during power failures and a vicious looking saw. The car was parked half way on the street and half on the sidewalk in a no stopping zone. This gigantic generator is belching smoke and we're pouring in gasoline. We're cutting the lock and it's shooting sparks everywhere and making very very slow progress. In short, we looked ridiculous. 3 police officers passed us by...not one said a word or looked twice. No pedestrians said a word. Finally, the saw blade broke with about the lock 2/3rds sliced through. I tried buying a new blade, but finding a decent hardware store in Center City on a Sunday is a futile endeavor.

With the lock weakened, we kept shooting freon into the cut area and attacking it with a crow bar and a sledge hammer. After about an hour of this, it FINALLY broke.