View Single Post
Old 08-29-10, 11:50 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
As a household with both a Sojourn and an LHT, I honestly don't get the love for the LHT. To outfit it with equivalent racks/fenders/etc as the Sojourn, we ended up paying more for the LHT ( and that's keeping the stock LHT saddle and bar tape, ). I find the Sojourn to be a much more comfortable ride, especially when loaded.

Don't get me wrong - the LHT is a great bike, but it's not the unbeatable touring machine that so many seem to think.
I was just surprised to see a thread where the Surly LHT was not even under consideration. I thought all threads had to begin: "What SIZE LHT should I get," "I'm waiting for my Surly LHT," "I just got a Surly LHT," or - on rare occasions - "Why I'm NOT getting a Surly LHT." The fact that someone would consider touring without even thinking of a Surly LHT violates some kind of BF rule.

(Actually, I figured out later that the OP must have just been considering touring bikes with disc brakes).

However, I am still wondering why an organized tour wants to travel the Pacific Coast from South to North. There should be a warning on their website, "We're doing this for charity, but we're traveling the wrong way."