Old 08-30-10, 03:03 PM
constant mesh

Bikes: SCOTT Tampico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relacing wheels, which is the easiest way?

Hi all, new member here. Sorry to bombard you right away, but I think I have a minor problem. I broke a non-drive side spoke on the rear wheel and this lead me to buy all new spokes, because no one carries plain 1.8mm spokes with thread area of 2.0mm which is some sort of exotic I believe. I know about dishing and I bought 2mm shorter spokes for the drive side.

I already tried it once from scratch on an old but driveable front wheel and it ended up with spokes still sticking out with nipples fully on. I am sure my pattern was correct, I also had an identical wheel for a reference.

So back to the initial problem ...
Is it best to collapse the wheel entirely then start it from scratch? Or can I go spoke by spoke without taking it apart interily? I guess I should loosen all of the spokes completely, beforehand?

I am in serious need of guidelines, not because I don't want to learn proper lacing, but to save time, because my schedule is tight for next two months so I just want to ride when it's still warm. I'll re-learn over winter.

Thanks!

T